The Old Way
It’s simple you can buy more points, subject to the rules below, to top up your balance – whether you need the extra points for Status – or to get that reward stay you’ve been saving up for.
It’s rarely cheaper to buy points for a reward night than pay the rack rate – but of course exceptions do apply – such as a Points Break stay.
- A 1,000 point minimum and a 40,000 point maximum
- no more than a 40,000 point maximum per rolling 12 month period
- in 1,000 point increments for
- 1,000 – 9,000 points US $13.50 per 1,000 points
- 10,000 – 19,000 points US $12.50 per 1,000 points
- 20,000 – 40,000 points US $11.50 per 1,000 points
The New Way – Half Price Points
So you can now make a points reservation and pay part-points part-cash.
And you can also cancel these reservations. When you cancel the points originally deposited go back in to your account + the points purchased also go back in to your account, as there is no cash refund for the extra points purchased, so you’re effectively getting points at third offf!
- To buy 5,000 points cost US$40 – US $8.00 per 1,000 points
- To buy 10,000 points cost US$70 – US $7.00 per 1,000 points
Nice and Easy..
- Step 1. You need a minimum of 5,000 points in your account
- Step 2. Search for a reward night for some time in the future
- (I’m going to use the Holiday Inn Express in Derby at 15,000pts per night for one night)
- Step 3. Book the night and select “5,000” + US$70
- Step 4. Complete Credit-card details and confirm booking
- Step 5. Cancel the booking
The 5,000 points originally debited are credited back + the 10,000 extra you just purchased for US$70. Job done!
Do these points count for status? Afraid not.
Therefore when booking a room don’t pay more than…
…unless you need the qualifying night to trigger a promotion.
- US$70 Holiday Inn Express* (10,000 points)
- US$105 Candlewood Suites (15,000 points)
- US$140 Staybridge Suites® (20,000 points)
- US$175 Crowne Plaza / Hotel Indigo (25,000 points)
- US$165 Holiday Inn Club Vacations™ (27,500 points)
- US$210 Intercontinental (30,000 points)
- US$280 Intercontinental (40,000 points)
- US$350 Intercontinental (50,000 points)
* Can also cost 15,000 or 25,000 points depending on the property.