Home > Bonus Points and Miles > Big Win Back for 2014

Big Win Back for 2014

December 16th, 2013 Leave a comment Go to comments

What: Welcome to The Big Win, another fantastic opportunity to earn toward free travel and more with IHG® Reward Club. Just take advantage of your personalized offers and let your winnings take you wherever you want to go. Register now and start earning today.

Brands: All brands

Analysis: My points target is 31k – which can be achieved by 3 Saturday nights in 3 different brands. As I don’t really stay away on Saturday’s it would cost around £200 / US$300 + travel time….not worth it..

When:  January 1, 2014 and April 30, 2014 (both dates inclusive)

How: View your 2014 offers

Categories: Bonus Points and Miles Tags:
  1. LA Guru
    December 16th, 2013 at 20:05 | #1

Oboy!! They have made it tougher to earn fewer points! Specially with the Saturday night stays. I like to go home as often as possible and earn frequent flier miles.
    My points target is 115 600.
    60 nights @ 43 200
    5 brands @ 20 800
    Start day of right (Best Flexible Rate with Breakfast) @ 2000
    7 Saturdays @ 12 000
    5 Holiday Inn Express stays @ 7 200
    4 Holiday Inn stays @ 6 400
    And here’s the kicker: Win Big: 24 000 points to do all the above
    Not a very big kicker compared to the previous Big Win.

2. lynn
    December 17th, 2013 at 22:32 | #2

Marriott here I come

3. NorthLight
    December 18th, 2013 at 04:45 | #3

Do I have to cancel my booking for Jan 2014 and re-books for the points?

4. December 18th, 2013 at 09:23 | #4

The Big Win offers are different depending on your previous usage I believe.

My targets have come down this time round – I only need 3 brands instead of 4 last time (I managed 3 last time!)

Would be interesting to know what offers a new(ish) member was offered with a low volume of stays.

5. Jonathan Day
    December 18th, 2013 at 09:31 | #5

would be nice if you could at least register for this but keeps on saying try later !!!!!!

6. LA Guru
    December 18th, 2013 at 09:50 | #6

Barney> I agree, it seems to be based on what you did last time around. There is still time for you to get that 4th brand……….I do think that my 60 days in 120 total days is a pretty hefty target, although I managed it the last go around does not mean I’m going to do it all the time.

7. December 18th, 2013 at 11:28 | #7

Barney :

I probably fall into that category.

Stay more and earn: 6 nights / 8800 points
    Start the day off right: 1 night with breakfast / 2000 points
    Take a survey: 100 points
    Win in a weekend: 2 Saturdays / 8000 points
    Spend it to get it (use their rewards card to book): 1 stay / 1500 points
    Book through mobile app: 3 stays / 5600 points
    Change Your View: stay at two Holiday Inns / 4800 points
    Win big: complete all 7 offers / 31000 points

I really wish I’d gotten this earlier since I have 10 nights booked in the next 6 weeks and I didn’t book any of them at IHG properties since their points valuation started sucking so hard.

8. Stuart
    December 18th, 2013 at 16:58 | #8

I don’t really have much hope of reaching any of my targets this time (and I didn’t last time either) and actually I don’t really care as the points have become devalued so much that I’ve started to stay at other brands and find the change quite refreshing; the only IHG benefit that I’m really bothered about is remaining platinum so that I get the room upgrades when I stay at Holiday Inn and this seems to be unaffected by this promotion.

It’s ironic that a failure to achieve (anything like) success on the ‘offer’ from IHG has been one of the main reasons for me to stay at the other brands, but there we are, I’m sure the marketing gurus can convince senior management that alienating some customers in this way is a good thing in the long run – it’s new customers they want, not the steady income stream regulars.

9. happyrich
    December 18th, 2013 at 22:02 | #9

Guys, here is mine. do you have any idea how I can achieve this?

Stay a total of 7 nights and receive 13,800 POINTS
    Stay at 3 different IHG® brands and receive 16,800 POINTS
    Book 4 separate stays through our IHG® app and receive 9,600 POINTS
    Stay 2 Saturday nights and receive 7,200 POINTS
    Complete a simple survey and receive 100 POINTS
    Stay at 2 Holiday Inn® hotels and receive 7,200 POINTS
    Complete 7 of your offers and receive 58,000 POINTS

10. LA Guru
    December 19th, 2013 at 05:35 | #10

happyrich> Yours look pretty easy compared to mine………..

11. MB
    December 19th, 2013 at 15:35 | #11

Well, I can earn 107,000 or so.
    But to earn about 60,000 of it, I would have to stay those #$%^&@ 3 saturday nights again.
    Rest isnt a problem assuming I total 22 nights this time.

Yeah. Stay 3 nights to get 4.
    Probably Not.

I usually dont spend Sat nights for work, if I do for personal reasons, that when I use the REWARD points.

December 25th, 2013 at 11:28 | #12

What a joke! Talk about alienating your best customers!

13. Brian
    December 26th, 2013 at 05:12 | #13

any chance you can do another update of all current offers, like you posted on 11th October, that was the best posting ever, so if you can, brilliant and thank u . . . like the others, IHG are alienating their best customers like more points needed for free stays, up to 50000/night in New York, what a joke . . plus the BIG WIN doesn’t suit anyone, bonus points per stay is always best, thanks again.

14. Paul Kuhn
    December 28th, 2013 at 20:50 | #14

I only have 5 offers, as follows: (finished the nights last time at 23, but not the Saturdays, 6 Brands or 2 cities)…..

15. Paul Kuhn
    December 28th, 2013 at 20:53 | #15

Mine has the following:

Stay 32 nights = 60K points
    stay at 5 different brands = 20.800 points
    book one best flexible rate with breakfast = 2K
    Stay 2 Sat nights = 8K
    stay at 4 Holiday Inn brands = 6400

Finish all 5 = 61K bonus…about 132K possible…….doable, in my opinion…..Paul.

I did all 25 nights last time, came up short on the 6 brands and the sat night stays and the 2 cities………..

16. Paul Kuhn
    December 28th, 2013 at 20:59 | #16

@Paul Kuhn

`Sorry, the 32 nights is a 24K bonus above, not 60K….Paul.

Total is 122,200 if I complete all of them.

17. Paul Kuhn
    December 28th, 2013 at 21:03 | #17

happyrich :Guys, here is mine. do you have any idea how I can achieve this?
    Stay a total of 7 nights and receive 13,800 POINTSStay at 3 different IHG® brands and receive 16,800 POINTSBook 4 separate stays through our IHG® app and receive 9,600 POINTSStay 2 Saturday nights and receive 7,200 POINTSComplete a simple survey and receive 100 POINTSStay at 2 Holiday Inn® hotels and receive 7,200 POINTSBook 1 stays through the Best Flexible Rate with Breakfast and receive 3,000 POINTSComplete 7 of your offers and receive 58,000 POINTS

Wow, you can get about 115K points for just that?!?!?!?! I could sleepwalk through that in a month or so, LOL!!……….. Go for it!!! Paul.

18. January 5th, 2014 at 21:01 | #18

I posted this question on milepoint.com, but didn’t get an answer really. So I thought I’d go to straight to the IHG guru. I have a reservation already booked in March under my name. My husband got an awesome Big Win offer that will be easy to achieve. He is listed as the second person in our room, but I’m wondering if there is a way to switch the whole reservation over to his name/account without cancelling the reservation. It would work out great with his Big Win offer. I looked at the rates for the weekend we have booked, and they have really gone up, so it doesn’t make sense for us to cancel. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks! Deb

19. happyrichbeauty
    January 6th, 2014 at 06:35 | #19

you can tell hotel you want to put points to his account when you check in or check out. they should be willing to do that. note that reservation is only reservation. remember upon checkout, they will ask you which credit card you want to use. the one you use to make reservation does not necessarily need to be the one you pay upon checkout. but you need to do this before you leave that hotel.

20. Dave M
    January 14th, 2014 at 19:16 | #20

My latest offer:
    37 nights = 41,400 pts
    6 different brands = 33,600 pts
    3 Saturdays = 8,400 pts
    1 flexible rate stay = 3,000 pts
    4 stays, Holiday Inn = 9,600 pts
    20 stays, HIE = 43,200 pts
    Do 5 out of 6, get 49,000 pts bonus
    Max 188,200 pts

I guess I might manage it….

21. LA Guru
    January 16th, 2014 at 01:51 | #21

It seem to me that they think IHG have me hooked! Seeing what many of you can receive with a lot less makes me wonder why should I be loyal…..Granted I did earn 900 k points last year but I’m sure other hotels would welcome me with 190+ nights/year

22. mohyeldin shalabi
    January 18th, 2014 at 13:12 | #22

I want to know my points

23. JonS
    February 17th, 2014 at 11:51 | #23

Don’t think I’m going to be able to do all of mine!

Stay 48 Nights = 35,200 points
    Stay 5 Brands = 20,800 points
    Get the IHG Rewards Visa = 20,000 points
    Stay two Cities = 9,600 Points
    Stay 2 Saturday Nights = 9,600 points
    Stay at 7 HIs = 12,000 points
    Complete 5 Offers = 34,000 points

24. lee
    February 19th, 2014 at 00:40 | #24

if you guys think your offer sucks check out mine…

stay more and earn. stay a total of 53 nights and earn 38,800 points
    explore our brands. stay at 5 different ihg brands and earn 20,800 points
    book (two times) with ihg (mobile app or website) 1,900 points
    win in a weekend 7 Saturdays 7,200 points
    spend it to get it. book once with ihg card and get 1,500 points
    change your view. stay at 4 holiday inn hotels and earn 6,400 points
    stay at 14 holiday inn express hotels and get 20,800 points
    win big (yeah right…) 97,000 points

anyone know of any other brands that have better offers than ihg rewards? I may have to spend my $18,000 a year elsewhere.
    sad. It’s been a good run with IHG. I hate to see it go down hill like this.

25. Dave M
    February 21st, 2014 at 14:24 | #25

It seems that there is a huge push this time around to get us to try different brands in the chain. This only works if your are unhappy with your current brand. Me, I use HIE and HI most of the time, with an occasional Crowne Plaza or Indigo. I usually avoid Staybridge – I need pet free rooms due to allergies and AVOID Candlewoods at all costs. Is there a more drab, unfriendly, bland hotel in the world?
    Also, another push is these damn Saturday night stays. Like the rest of you, I want to be HOME on Saturday nights, I spend enough of my Sunday nights in hotels and I don’t want another stay unless it is with the wife and somewhere nice.
    The rewards programs are becoming more and more difficult to use and the points breaks are impossible – Has anyone out there ever got to use one in the normal swing of things and I don’t mean going out of your way. I’ve NEVER seen one at a hotel I needed to be in at the offered time!
    On a positive note, a least hotel programs are not like the airlines, #$%*!!! useless. I’ve just booked flights to UK and the taxes and fees for two tickets are $2350! This for a FREE ticket!

26. lynn
    February 27th, 2014 at 14:58 | #26

We stay at different chains as well as holiday. .changed most of our 130 nights a year to marriott for several reasons the biggest begin the platinum benefits are good and they have a lifetime platinum. I also never have problems if i call for any reason

27. AHornback
    April 27th, 2014 at 10:29 | #27

It was a challenge and I pulled it off with just 7 days to spare. It also took a little excessive hotel changes. But it was worth the effort.

Stay a total of 44 nights and earn 48,000 points
    Stay at 4 different IHG brands and earn 28,800 points
    Stay at 7 Holiday Inn® hotels and earn 18,000 points
    Stay at 12 Holiday Inn Express® hotels and earn 28,800 points.
    Stay at 12 Holiday Inn Express® hotels and earn 28,800 points.
    Total 247,600 points earned.

28. AHornback
    April 27th, 2014 at 10:31 | #28

AHornback :
    Stay a total of 44 nights and earn 48,000 points
    Stay at 4 different IHG brands and earn 28,800 points
    Stay at 7 Holiday Inn® hotels and earn 18,000 points
    Stay at 12 Holiday Inn Express® hotels and earn 28,800 points.
    Complete 4 of your offers and earn 124,000 points.
    Total 247,600 points earned.

The above was corrected

29. Paul Kuhn
    April 29th, 2014 at 09:53 | #29

It seems that some offers are skewed away from loyal travelers and meant to try to hook newbies……I finished mine and am waiting for the final 2 “awards”:
    Here is my final total:

Stay 32 nights = 24K points
    stay at 5 different brands = 20.800 points
    book one best flexible rate with breakfast = 2K
    Stay 2 Sat nights = 8K
    stay at 4 Holiday Inn brands = 6400
    Win Big = 61K Points

So a total of 122,200 points on the Big Win……I do not know if a third round is offerred if I will participate……AHornback (above) got 247K points for just a few more nights (which I have almost done in the course of finishing this), so they gave double on that promotion…..Just offer bonus points for stays or brands, and stay x get y bonuses…….

Since I have Platinum for this year and next year (and almost the following year with rollover nights), I am contemplating maybe doing the Hilton route for a while and see how I like that……

Paul.

30. Dave M
    May 1st, 2014 at 13:00 | #30

I have finished my “Big Win” (see post #20) and got my 188,200 points.
    I have just been emailed my next offer.
    Stay 18 nights get 15,000 points.
    It’s the Hilton for me this quarter guys!

31. Paul Kuhn
    May 3rd, 2014 at 14:48 | #31

Now I see where my last stay for 4 nights at a Candlewood Suites ( which was on 21-25 April and would take me to 35 nights, well over the 32 needed for my “win”) was not showing my Platinum number, so I have had to enter the ‘missing points/missing promotion’ form to try to get mine finished. I verified at the front desk AND checked a second time to make sure they had it………Although I stayed 4 more nights this week (28 April-3 May), I do not want to take the chance that some ‘technicality’ will say that the first 3 days do not count since they were not ‘final billed’ until after 30 April (the end of the promotion)……I will see and post back when I finally get my last 85K points……

Paul.

32. Paul Kuhn
    May 3rd, 2014 at 14:49 | #32

Dave M :I have finished my “Big Win” (see post #20) and got my 188,200 points.I have just been emailed my next offer.Stay 18 nights get 15,000 points.It’s the Hilton for me this quarter guys!

Dave, note that Hilton has a Double Points promo going on, i saw it in the Friday USA Toady……

Paul.

33. Dave M
    May 6th, 2014 at 10:45 | #33

Thanks for the info, Paul. I’ve signed up already. I have been a member of Hilton for 10 years now and they are very good but sometimes not as liberal with bonuses. Still, double points is better than this quarters IHG offer.

I hope the info going around that this site has been sold to IHG is not correct.

I would like to know, one way or the other…..

34. Paul Kuhn
    May 10th, 2014 at 10:08 | #34

There have been no updates recently, makes me wonder what is going on….

I did get my BIG WIN points added finally so picked up the last 100K or so….All I have to sign up for now is the Stay 15, get 15K points for this quarter…

Paul.

35. Dave M
    May 11th, 2014 at 18:05 | #35

Remember that it is not for a quarter, this is a 4 month offer. Not much of an incentive…….