Home > Everything Else > No happy new year from Priority Club – Points devaluation for rewards

No happy new year from Priority Club – Points devaluation for rewards

What: From the 18th January the number of points required to book some hotels will be going up – in some cases by as much as 40% for some Crowne Plaza/Indigo branded Hotels.

Only back in 2010 did IHG say the following – shame they couldn’t stand by their own words:

“If you want your loyal customers to stick with you during tough times, it’s vital to show you appreciate them and give them more value, not less. So it’s no wonder there was such a negative reaction to Hilton devaluing their points programme,” said Tom Seddon, chief marketing officer, IHG

The new redemption levels are as follows…

Holiday Inn Express / Express by Holiday Inn:

Hotel Indigo:

• Was: 25,000
  • Now: 25,000 – 35,000

Intercontinental:

• Was: 30,000 – 40,000
  • Now: 30,000 – 40,000 – 50,000

When: Effective from the 18th January – act now!

More Information: See Priority Club Website

Screen Shot – Old

Screen Shot – New

Categories: Everything Else Tags:
  1. Eddy
    January 3rd, 2012 at 06:52 | #1

While this is not good, thanks for posting. I had a reservation at the Z ocean hotel for 2 of the 3 nights I needed, I decided to check today and thankfully the space was there for my 3rd night.

2. admin
    January 3rd, 2012 at 07:18 | #2

@Eddy
    Good hotel – and definitely one which I think will fall in to the 35,000 point category come the 18th.

3. Tom
    January 3rd, 2012 at 08:20 | #3

just called IHG and logged a SERIOUS COMPLAINT re the reward night requirement changes. I reminded them of the disdain IHG had last year for Hilton for doing the SAME THING!!!!

4. Rossyrox
    January 3rd, 2012 at 09:06 | #4

I’m in the Hotel Indigo Paddington at 25,000 points, this one will go up for sure it is excellent.

5. peter kamerman
    January 3rd, 2012 at 09:39 | #5

Call Steve Sickel Vp distribution & Marketing to Complain/Comment on new HIGHER p/c point –redemptions. 770-604-5488.

6. peter kamerman
    January 3rd, 2012 at 09:44 | #6

OR Nicky Pearson also at Distribution & Relationship Marketing @770-604-5186. Let them know all business will shift to HYATT/SPG if this isn’t recinded.!!!!!! If everyone bands together and complains perhaps they will re-consider their decision.

7. Mark Caswell
    January 3rd, 2012 at 09:50 | #7

Is this information available on the IHG / priority Club website? I can’t see any mention of it yet? Received my January Priority Club Rewards eStatement which has a link to details of changes to be made from Jan 18, but when you click on it, it just takes you to the current redemption levels…

8. admin
    January 3rd, 2012 at 10:29 | #8

@Mark Caswell
    This link is shows then new levels – maybe you have a cached version as it was only updated this morning? http://www.priorityclub.com/hotels/us/en/home/rewardnights?cm_mmc=DCE-_-PCES010312-_-AMBP-_-PCR_RewardChart_Change

9. Lee Walker
    January 3rd, 2012 at 10:52 | #9

It would seem they might have changed their mind on this one. The link was showing the new rates this morning but now it is back to the old rates????

10. peter kamerman
    January 3rd, 2012 at 11:09 | #10

no it’s still showing the NEW rates! EVERYONE NEEDS TO CALL OR WRITE AND COMPLAIN & TELL THEM YOU’LL BE TAKING YOUR BUSINESS ELSEWHERE.

11. admin
    January 3rd, 2012 at 11:12 | #11

@Lee Walker
    I’ve put screenshots up for your viewing pleasure – click on them to see them “uncompressed”

12. Cris A
    January 3rd, 2012 at 13:36 | #12

I see the old rates, not the new ones. I also e-mailed my extreme displeasure from a 40-50 night/year perennial Platinum member.

13. IHG customer
    January 3rd, 2012 at 23:58 | #13

Fill their Facebook page and LinkedIn page.

14. fanfan
    January 4th, 2012 at 03:28 | #14

How come I did not receive these changes by e-mail? …I have so often complained about their bad website and their black pages…no reaction ! and about the “bestpriceguarantee” promotion, I was not happy since they changed once on the spot the rates in order not to give me the free night…Funny and disappointing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Catch Me
    January 4th, 2012 at 16:52 | #15

I work for IHG and have to say how disappointed I am at the news. I can almost certainly say that the IC Park Lane will go up as well as the Le Grand, Bora Bora, Time Square, Singapore, Hong Kong and Cannes. Indigo Paddington and Tower Hill will go up as will CP London City, St. James, Times Square, Paris, Rome, Melbourne. This is not insider information…it just does not take a genius to figure it out!!!

16. IHG customer
    January 4th, 2012 at 22:38 | #16

Guys, for 50,000 points, you can get a Ritz free night from Marriott program. Let’s migrate to Marriott. Why stay at an InterContinental if you can stay at a Ritz?

17. Gwain
    January 5th, 2012 at 06:44 | #17

There is a disclaimer after the rates that you can still get the same old rates if you call Priority Club Service.

“The Reward Night chart above is effective January 18, 2012. If the hotel that you originally planned to book now requires more points, simply call the Priority Club Service Center to reserve your Reward Night and ask for the original point price. This offer is valid through March 18, 2012. ”

Very crafty of them. Not happy about the changes. If they increase the rates for paid stays, they should also increase the rewards associated so that the value of our stays is not reduced. Not sure where the LOYALTY comes into this, isn’t PC a Loyatly Reward Scheme???? Is the Loyalty only one way?

18. wellbe
    January 5th, 2012 at 17:23 | #18

Unbelievable – this is the first I heard of it and apparently I am in the top 2% of IHG travellers!

Everything is costing more in day 2 day life and now virtual money (points) is being affected by inflation!

Time to look at other brands

19. Sam Fan
    January 6th, 2012 at 06:33 | #19

Hello,

Another change I see is for Bonus Points for particular hotels, either this is new or exclusive to USA, you need to pay a higher rate to get the Bonus Points.

This is absurd, it is the same as purchasing points.

In the past (outside the USA) if a bonus was listed, you got the points, you did not have to book the higher priced 2000 or 5000 point package.

Furthermore, the lowest price guarantee is a complete hoax, there is always a loophole and it is far too troublesome to bother.

Happy New Year Anyhow!

20. Martyn
    January 7th, 2012 at 07:28 | #20

I may be wrong but it looks like IHG have also removed to 2 nights for one link for weekend stays, I expect other discounted rates will follow. Can anyone confirm this or hopefully know a link that still works?

21. admin
  22. admin
    January 7th, 2012 at 13:13 | #22

@Sam Fan
    This was generally always the case. As a note if you do book those rates only book it for the first night. For the second night just book the normal rate.

23. Tom
    January 7th, 2012 at 16:13 | #23

I called and the IHG rep confirmed that the increase would be in effect, but also said “but there will also be some hotels which will require ‘less’ than before”. Can you believe this comment?? I stay over 100 nights with IHG per year (been in top 1% for over 3 years)… but NOT ANY LONGER!!!!!!!!! Folks, this is S-T-E-A-L-I-N-G !!! Taking points “away” is the same as taking $$$ away – those ALREADY EARNED !!!

24. Tom
    January 7th, 2012 at 16:15 | #24

(additional point) – At the very minimum, IHG should “Grandfather” the 12/31/11 points of all members and keep those at current point requirements for reward nights.

25. Chuck
    January 7th, 2012 at 19:57 | #25

I had no idea IHG was taking such cheap shots at loyal members. I guess getting their award for the best rewards program for so many years has gone to their heads.

Wait to they see what these changes mean to their wallets.

26. Christiana
    January 8th, 2012 at 08:34 | #26

Looks like by birthday plans to stay in Bora Bora have been trashed. Thanks!

27. rossyrox
    January 8th, 2012 at 19:24 | #27

Has anyone had their bonus points for the 80k miles promo that ended on Dec 31?

28. fanfan
    January 9th, 2012 at 00:42 | #28

NOT YET, they said they will adjust”double or triple” points after 4 or 6 weeks.

29. David Woodroof
    January 9th, 2012 at 02:01 | #29

Tom :

I agree, but the question is, which other chain offers a similar never expires points system ? Because that’s also important !

30. Lee
    January 11th, 2012 at 00:07 | #30

I stay 130-150 nights a year in hotels. I stay 95% of those at an express. I feel like this is a kick in the face. when i erned my points i was told they had a value of X now they changed the deal we had. I agree it is like stealing.

31. alexa
    January 11th, 2012 at 08:09 | #31

i’ll trade my pc points to miles! it’s rip off

32. Tom
    January 11th, 2012 at 22:55 | #32

The increase from 40,000 points to 50,000 points is equivalent to making a “deal” to purchase a vehicle and arriving at the dealership and the “deal” costing $10,000 more than the original agreement was “stated”. (Any takers on this analogy?)

33. IHG customer
    January 13th, 2012 at 01:30 | #33

Maybe what they can do is to give at least one year advance notice so that people who refuse to take this point devaluation can use up their points within an year with the original points.

34. fanfan
    January 13th, 2012 at 03:39 | #34

They say that we could book with the old number of points till March 18, 2012, is it right? or it is only till January 18? thanks for the information.

35. humidex
    January 14th, 2012 at 13:00 | #35

go on facebook and complain! priority club rewards has a page as does IHG!

36. Cris A
    January 14th, 2012 at 14:40 | #36

The reply to my e-mail indicating my concerns and dissatisfaction:

Thank you for your reply. We appreciate your feedback and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Your comments have been documented and shared with the management staff of the Priority Club® Rewards Service Center. The information is also available to our corporate executives that make decisions pertaining to future enhancements of our program.

Our Priority Club Rewards members are our most valued customers and we appreciate your loyalty to our hotels. Your honest feedback allows us to make future enhancements to our program and ensure our members are satisfied with our program.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to contact us as we value your patronage. Should you require further assistance, please feel free to contact the Priority Club Service Center again.

Sincerely,

Javes Pastor

Account Manager
    Priority Club Rewards
    IHG

Phone: 1-888-211-9874
    Fax: 1-800-725-8232
    Email: priorityclub@ihg.com

37. Tom
    January 16th, 2012 at 21:22 | #37

Points have a dollar value. IF YOU HAVE A SAVINGS ACCOUNT (anywhere) & THE FINANCIAL INSTITUTION REMOVES 20% OF THE DOLLARS FROM YOUR ACCOUNT. . . DO YOU NOT SAY ANYTHING???
    Therefore, not saying anything equals acceptance.

38. darren
    January 17th, 2012 at 08:47 | #38

And i now notice that rewards nights are going to be for only 2 people… and will require a supplement for additional occupants according to the T&C’s. So there goes me being able to take my wife and 5 & 3 year old’s when i get back from being away with work for ages…. looks like I’d better start looking for another hotel provider. They should at least true up our existing points with a small bonus for what they’re doing. … A disgusted current but i suspect not future Platinum card holder.

39. Chris
    January 18th, 2012 at 14:43 | #39

I found this out just before Christmas… when I called… they gave me the old rates… and point cash options… booked my hotel and multiple rooms in NYC… after all was booked I was told this probably won’t be able to happen any more… Me using points to cover 3 rooms all on the same nights… SHAME IHC… SHAME!!!!

40. Mora
    February 20th, 2012 at 21:13 | #40

email your dissatifaction to Tom Seddon, Chief marketing officer at tom.seddon@ihg.com, before you vote with your feet.

41. Sassygal
    March 29th, 2012 at 20:50 | #41

Mora: if you haven’t discovered already, Tom Seddon is no longer the Chief Marketing Director at IHG. He left before these changes were made.

42. Jon
    January 7th, 2013 at 14:57 | #42

This is really disappointing- yet another company devalueing their rewards and going back on their word.
    At least when the airmiles scheme (in uk) changed to Avios, they improved some of the features such as fixed fee for zones 1-3 and more routes(although they used to be free!)

It doesn’t particularly bother me if their is less incentive to use iHG hotels as there are several more hotel companies of similar price point and quality readily available.

Well done to those who complained and…Well done prority club for going back on your word!

43. tim
    January 8th, 2013 at 09:01 | #43

Im calling now!!!!!!!!!@peter kamerman

44. Alan
    January 24th, 2013 at 11:25 | #44

I guess I stay(ed) around 75 nights a year with IHG; I generally used my points for weekend theatre-trips to London.

Last month I could get a night for 15,000 points + 70USD; now it’s 25,000 points for the same rate. Almost twice as much.

I’ve just emailed them to say I’m so unhappy with the second devaluation in a year that I will be using my remaining points then closing my account and making a point of never staying at an IHG property again- even if it’s the closest/ cheapest option.

45. Nancy
    February 3rd, 2014 at 18:53 | #45

How long does it take to have an event show up for points? I have waited for almost 2 months! Is this really worth the wait?

1. January 3rd, 2012 at 17:31 | #1